Back Pain During Pregnancy
Back Pain During Pregnancy: Causes, Treatment and Prevention
Back pain or discomfort is common during pregnancy and should be expected to some degree by most women. Back pain may be experienced during any point of your pregnancy; however, it most commonly occurs later in pregnancy as baby grows.
Back pain can disrupt your daily routine or interfere with a good night of sleep. The good news is there are steps you can take to manage the back pain that you experience.
How common is back pain during pregnancy?
You are not alone if you experience back pain during your pregnancy. The prevalence varies with reports showing between 50 to 70 percent Of pregnant women experiencing back pain.
What causes back pain during pregnancy?
Back pain during pregnancy is related to a number of factors. Some women begin to have lower back pain with the onset of pregnancy. Women who are most at risk for back pain are those who are overweight or had back pain prior to pregnancy.
Here is a list of potential causes of back pain or discomfort during pregnancy:
- Increase of hormones – Hormones released during pregnancy allow ligaments in the pelvic area to soften and the joints to become looser in preparation for the birthing process; this shift in joints and loosening of ligaments may affect the support your back normally experiences.
- Center of gravity – Your center of gravity will gradually move forward as your uterus and baby grow, which causes your posture to change.
- Additional weight – Your developing pregnancy and baby create additional weight that your back must support.
- Posture or position – Poor posture, excessive standing, and bending over can trigger or escalate the pain you experience in your back.
- Stress – Stress usually accumulates in weak areas in the body, and because of the changes in your pelvic area, you may experience an increase in back pain during stressful periods of your pregnancy.
How can you prevent or minimize back pain during pregnancy?
Back pain may not be prevented completely, but there are things that you can do to reduce the severity or frequency.
Here are a few steps you can take to help reduce the back pain you are experiencing:
- Use exercises approved by your health care provider that support and help strengthen the back and abdomen.
- Squat to pick up something instead of bending over.
- Avoid high heels and other shoes that do not provide adequate support.
- Avoid sleeping on your back.
- Wear a support belt under your lower abdomen.
- Consider having your back adjusted by a chiropractor.
- Get plenty of rest. Elevating your feet is also good for your back.
How can you treat back pain during pregnancy?
There are a number of things you can do to treat back pain during pregnancy. Some of the steps you take to avoid back pain may also be used to treat current back pain.
Here are some other common interventions:
- Ice or heat
- Braces or support devices
- Medications used to treat inflammation
- Sleep on your left side, and use a support pillow under your knees.
- Schedule an appointment with a licensed health care professional such as a chiropractor or massage therapist.
When to contact your health care provider?
Experiencing back pain is usually not a reason to contact your health care provider, but there are situations where contacting your provider is necessary.
You want to contact your health care provider If you are experiencing any of the following:
- Severe back pain
- Increasingly severe or abrupt-onset of back pain
- Rhythmic cramping pains–This could be a sign of preterm labor.
Severe back pain may be related to pregnancy-associated osteoporosis, vertebral osteoarthritis, or septic arthritis. These are not common, but it is something your health care provider will examine for if you are experiencing severe back pain.
Your Next Steps:
- Begin an approved exercise program to support your back and abdomen.
- Set aside a couple of times each day when you can take a nap or get off your feet.
- Purchase a support belt.
- Purchase a sleep aid pillow.
- Search below for a chiropractor or massage therapist.
Last Updated: 07/2015
Compiled using information from the following sources:
Danforth Obstetrics and Gynecology Ninth Ed. Scott, James. Gibbs, et al, Ch. 1
Williams’s Obstetrics Twenty-Second Ed. Cunningham, F. Gary, et al, Ch. 8
Middle Back Pain During Pregnancy: Back Pain Causes And Remedies
Pregnancy is one of the most pleasured moments in woman’s life, even if she faces discomforts during this period. Some of the discomforts are caused due to hormonal changes, others are physical.
Of the most common physical symptom experienced in many pregnant women, backache stands to rank first on the list.
Middle Back Pain During Pregnancy
Middle back pain in pregnancy is not serious, but should always be attended and looked upon. During pregnancy some bodily changes cause this type of pain. The ligaments get stretched due to increase in size of uterus, and they may be one of the reasons for middle back pain.
Pregnancy Back Pain Causes
During pregnancy urinary tract infection is common, the infection may reach kidneys and cause middle back pain on sides, the left and right. The associated symptoms such as fever, vomiting, and burning urine may be present. Your doctor may recommend urine analysis to confirm the diagnosis.
Lumbar spondylosis is another middle back pain cause which is frequently observed in pregnancy. If the pain is preexisting there is always a reason for it to get exaggerated when pregnant.
Causes Of Back Pain In Pregnancy
Middle back pain in right side can be due to liver problems, a gall stone can give rise to such type of pain during pregnancy.
Pregnancy Back Pain Remedies
Hints to decrease middle back pain during pregnancy if it is muscular in nature are:
- Do not wear high heeled shoes.
- Avoid bending.
- Take support of some object while picking something from floor.
- Back exercise and stretching will relieve middle back pain of muscular origin.
Middle back pain early pregnancy?
Discover AMAZING Cure to middle back pain early pregnancy!
Tag Archives: lower back pain during pregnancy
Middle back pain early pregnancy | unbearable back pain during pregnancy
What Causes Back Pain During Pregnancy
Back ache is a successive objection among pregnant ladies, however what causes it and when would it be a good idea for you to really get concerned?
Expanding levels of pregnancy hormones relax your ligaments in readiness for labor, when your introduction to the world waterway will need to stretch in place for the child to pass through. As your infant creates and develops, it puts expanding strain on the ligaments that hold the uterus set up bringing about mellow back torment.
Lifting or strenuous activity might likewise start the onset of back ache. In the event that you have encountered issues with back ache before pregnancy, anticipate that it will intensify throughout pregnancy.
Back ache might additionally be identified with an issue with sacroiliac joint which is likewise influenced by softening ligaments. This kind of back torment may be direct to extreme.
Sciatic back aches are an alternate regular protestation. This happens when the heap of sciatic nerves that limb off the end of your spine and pass through your hip joint get squeezed and excited. The ensuing back torment feels like a sharp electric shock that passes through the cheeks of your bottom, ordinarily on one side or the other.
At the point when would it be a good idea for you to get worried about back torment?
1. At the point when sciatic back torment gets to be severe to the point that you experience issues strolling. You may even encounter a few shortcoming in the leg on the same side as your sciatic agony. Non-intrusive treatment and certain non-strenuous activities can help free the sciatic nerves, reduce your back agony, and restore your capability to walk ordinarily.
2. Relentless low back torment joined by weight on your pelvic floor may be an indication of approaching work. Attempt to figure out whether you can feel any real withdrawals as contact your specialist if your back agony perseveres.
3. Back agony joined by extreme cramping and vaginal draining may be an indication of approaching unnatural birth cycle. Contact your specialist and head to the clinic at once.
Some back agony is normal in most circumstances throughout pregnancy, however in the event that your back ache is constant or your back torment gets insufferable, don’t dither to look for therapeutic support.
What Causes Back Pain During Pregnancy?
Back pain during pregnancy is common. Approximately half of all pregnancies are complicated by back pain. 1
About 10% of the time, the pain becomes so severe that it can interfere with the ability to work or carry out normal activities during pregnancy.
This article explains the common risk factors, causes, and treatments of back pain during pregnancy.
Risk Factors for Back Pain during Pregnancy
Key factors that are associated with increased risk of developing lower back pain during pregnancy include:
- Physically strenuous work
- Lifting, bending, and child care
- A history of low back pain prior to pregnancy
Common Causes of Back Pain during Pregnancy
Malfunction in the sacroiliac joint is the most common cause of back pain in pregnancy. While it can be quite painful, this condition is treatable and (especially with treatment) tends to get better after delivery of the baby.
In This Article:
- What Causes Back Pain During Pregnancy?
- Treatments for Low Back Pain During Pregnancy
- Causes of Pregnancy Back Pain Video
The sacroiliac joint forms the functional unit of the pelvis that allows normal alternating movement during walking. As the pregnancy advances, hormonal changes prepare the pelvis for delivery of the child by loosening the strong ligaments that control the function of these joints. 2
The increased elasticity of these ligaments during pregnancy is necessary for the birth canal to expand as the baby passes through it. However, the associated increase in motion and instability around the sacroiliac joint can also be a source of sacroiliac pain.
Http://www. tandurust. com/pregnancy-childbirth/middle-back-pain-pregnancy. html
Http://middlebackpainearlypregnancy. wordpress. com/tag/lower-back-pain-during-pregnancy/
Http://www. spine-health. com/conditions/pregnancy-and-back-pain/what-causes-back-pain-during-pregnancy